Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Week of February 14-20 (Week 4) Post 3

Question #3).Pick one concept from either text, not already discussed, that you found useful or interesting and discuss it.

An interesting concept I found to be relevant for myself is Group Commitment and Consensus. Harris states that “we depend on one another for the success and productivity of those endeavors we share,” (pg.92) which I find to be very true. For example, at my branch, everyone has to work together in order to achieve our branch goals. Although we have individual goals in order to fulfill our target, our combined numbers is what initially determines that amount of bonus we receive. It’s important as Harris points out that “people are more committed and work harder in a group if they feel their input and contributions are valued” and this is done through personal recognition as well as group huddles to applaud the current success. Sometimes it is discouraging when a group member feels as if they might not be contributing enough to the team; however, everyone is fair and assists each other in achieving individual goals in order to surpass our overall target.

1 comment:

  1. Bella,
    After reading the different concepts. I found this concept interesting also. Although I chose nonverbal communication, group commitment and consensus is also very important. The example that you showed about achieving branch goals, and having individual goals to receive bonuses but as the book shows the author says that people are more committed and work harder in a group if their inputs are valued. I feel like this is true for every group, people start working harder when they feel the recongition that they get. I try that as a coach, one day I will get on them about all the mistakes they did, then the next day Ill just point out the good things they did. Their is a difference in practice, they work harder and more as a team. Good job Bella on your comments I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete