Question #2. Explain how entropy and equifinality impact small groups.
Entropy is defined by Harris as “disorganization, stagnation, and chaos,” (p.33) which reflects negative responses from los of focus and organization in groups. Balancing the contribution of energy and information will prevent entropy as well as receiving positive results. Feedback is essential in enduring new input and creates production in order to sustain focus and to persist. Entropy impacts small groups by limiting groups on the amount of energy and information they create because an imbalance could cause chaos or drift from the central purpose. When balance is achieved, groups will “begin to move forward successfully” (33).
Equifinality is interesting to me because I do not feel that it impacts small groups in a negative way. From the text, I understand equifinality to be defined as “different groups can achieve successful results by taking advantage of the unique combination of characteristics and strengths of their particular group,” (34) which allow for an alternate process to reach the same goal. By illustrating that “there is more than one way to skin a cat,” I feel that Harris is expressing that every group can have a different method for the same goal; it is not about the formula used to achieve success as it is attaining the objective.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Bella82
ReplyDeleteI just posted my response to this question in my blog not too long ago, and I see we pretty much have the same understanding of the concepts.
When talking about entropy, I like how you pointed out that the balance of contribution of energy and information will prevent entropy and trigger positive results. The balance of the competing forces was the key component of this concept so good job recognizing that!
As far as equifinality, I agree with you that it does not really impact small groups in a negative way. The only potential negative I can think of is that there may not be much order with this concept.
Great job!