Question #2). What are the functions of norms in groups? Can you give a personal example not already discussed this week? Have you ever experienced a violation of a norm? Explain.
The functions of norms in groups are “expectations regarding behavior patterns for the group as a whole” (49) and are to be respected and regulated. Although group norms are not formed or forced by any particular member and can change at any given time, they are maintained by the group as a whole. An example can be a football team; the group has to attend regular meetings, practices, and games. Also, there are rules each member has to adhere to, otherwise, the group will be disappointed and can carry consequences.
A personal example of norms and their functions is in my culture and home. The norms within my home based on my cultural values is to abide by any given rules, such as curfew or communicating when I will be late so my parents do not worry. Also, being respectful, contributing and taking responsibility, and upholding the cultural principles learned.
I have experienced and also personally violated a norm and learned from it. When I used to work at Starbucks, the norms of the store were attendance, dress code, facial piercing, and approved schedule changes. On a few occasions, I would arrive late or forget to remove my nose piercing; however, there were consequences for my actions with a verbal warning or write-up. I understood that the group could not function properly in completing tasks or assisting customers if an individual was tardy or sent home due to unapproved schedule change or improper dress code. My previous manager expressed that when one person lacked contribution or did not comply with policies/procedures, then the group is affected, which I found to be true. As I realized how I was affected by other’s actions, I understood that my actions impacted my team negatively, too.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Bella82, I really liked the personal example you gave relating to group norms. Growing up from a Chinese culture, I had to tell my parents where I was going and be back at a certain time. When I don't follow those rules, they get really disappointed. In most Chinese cultures, parents expect their sons and daughters to get into great schools like Stanford, Harvard, MIT, etc. That certainly puts a lot of pressure on a Chinese-American student. When they don't perform up to their parent's high expectations, they might believe they have failed in life.
ReplyDeleteIn Chinese culture, it is also important for sons and daughters to obey their parents. It is considered to be disrespectful to talk back or disagree with them.
At any work place it is important to be on time. When an employee is constantly late to work, fellow workers are truly affected. Some may think that this person is not truly dedicated, and doesn't care about his/her job.
Hi Bella,
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your post - you provided a lot of good examples. I am surprised that they made you remove your nose piercing while working at Starbucks because we live in the Bay Area and I thought that the company would be a little more accepting towards it. I know piercings other than the ears are usually considered to be "unprofessional", but my background is that my family is from India and a lot of women have nose piercings because in Indian culture, it is common. So I guess for me, it is not violating a "norm" of any kind to have a nose piercing. However, you have to do what your employer requires.
You make an interesting point when you say, that your "previous manager expressed that when one person lacked contribution or did not comply with policies/procedures, then the group is affected". I totally agree because when some people do not follow the norm, it causes negative feelings between other people. People often become uncomfortable when others do not follow norms.
Great job on this post!
Molly
Hi! I liked the personal example you gave. It’s always interesting to me to read about other people’s personal experience because I am not too experienced in relating or communicating with people who have different perspectives or lives then I do. As for norms, I believe that they are a crucial part of our society that gives us a route to follow and keeps us as a society away from chaos. On the other hand, I also believe that everything should have a balance and following norms like they were the law is not good because it makes us conform and we can not move forward and improve as people and as a society.
ReplyDeleteBella82-
ReplyDeleteI read through your post and I see that you actually defined functions of norms in groups. I must have missed that definition in my reading :). Nevertheless, very good response and I like your example of the football team and their specific expectations. I used to play football and we definitely have to carry the weight of a teammate who misses their assignment or plain and simply do not "show up." Great realization with your previous experience at working at Starbucks. Often times its hard to admit that we as individuals are negatively impacting our team. I too used to work at Starbuck's and I frequented the same behavior; however, I decided to quit when they reinforced company policy and wrote me up...I just didn't want to except the fact that my behavior was not helping the team. Great response!