Question #3: Pick one concept from the reading assignment this week (Ch.2) that you found interesting or useful and and discuss it. Please discuss a concept that has not already been discussed this week so far.
An interesting concept in chapter 2 is Feedback and its importance. Positive feedback is encouraged initially to give recognition for something good. I have always learned throughout life that negative feedback can be appreciated if it is expressed in a respectful approach. As the author states, “negative feedback encourages a reduction in deviation, can fulfill a corrective function to help the group on task, but can also reduce creativity” (p.32). Negative feedback can be misunderstood if “the processes, style, content, and effect of the feedback that it provides” (p.32) is delivered harshly. My manager characterizes negative feedback to be a gift if presented correctly. Obviously no one wants to receive negative feedback because it does not give motivation or bring about the positives in the situation; however, presenting it constructively will obtain a better response and promote creativeness. To show a clear example, I will utilize my manager’s approach when giving me feedback during my personal meetings. She starts out with positive feedback and encouragement in continuing my success with the work I provide. She begins by going over a list of accomplishments and tasks I’ve completed efficiently and she also identifies my strengths. Her tone when giving me constructive feedback is empathetic, which makes me appreciate it more. She is very supportive and gives advice to help me grow in my weaknesses. The concept of feedback is not only important, but also necessary in order to both give recognition for hard work and to also identify areas of potential growth.
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi bella,
ReplyDeleteI couldn’t agree more. I feel that negative feedback can be extremely useful and constructive. In most cases negative feedback is much more useful than positive. Now obviously this depends on the specific person receiving the feedback, but in my case, I use negative feedback as a tool to better myself. Positive feedback, although good, is really just a way to increase self esteem when doing something. Now if you receive the negative feedback correctly and it is given in the same manner it can be used in a variety of ways. Especially in the workplace, being able to receive feedback in both areas will greatly increase the chances of you becoming better at your job.
Jrod
Hey Bella,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post on feedback. I agree with you on the negative feedback, where that it can be appreciated in a matter where there is respect. I believe that negative feedback and positive feedback go hand in hand. In my case I think that too much negative feedback can affect someone's performance and they might feel the pressure of trying to do too much, instead of just the task at hand. The way your manager approaches feedback is the way I approach it as a coach. I can say that although we won the game, we miss 10 free throws and 5 layups and what if they game was really close and we lost. I would put them in a situation like that, just to keep them on there toes and keep them thinking. That is good your manager does that so you know what to do to improve. Great post.