Question #2) Explain the concept "white men of privilege". Do you agree with the concept? Why or why not?
The concept of “white men of privilege” come from “organizational behaviors and expectations” (pg. 96) as Harris explains. The section of this subject illustrates how “the experience and voices of women, people of color, the elderly, those with other than attractive able bodies, the poor, and the undereducated have often been subordinated to that privilege.” I do not agree with this concept because history shows us the obstacles to obtain equal opportunity in the workplace, people of color had to jump over difficulties to gain equal rights, and even in today’s society with same-sex marriage and achieving the right to marry. Personally, I feel that each individual should have the right and freedom to their life and “power is a shared responsibility,” (pg. 97) however, each person has the right to vote or possible opportunities in decision-making. The Declaration of Independence states “that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness” (www.archives.gov) and this should still be recognized today. The Hierarchies of Power should be limited to ensure that all men, women, and children of different ethnicities, beliefs, religion, and everything that sets people apart from one another can be given the right to life, love, and their personal happiness.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello Bella
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with you in the sense that this concept should not exist. However I simply stated on my post that I agree that the white men privilege is the general assumption of people world-wide. I am in a pre-law program called CLEO and you have to be considered underprivileged in order to be in this pre-law program. Some of these qualifications include: being of welfare, being a single parents, and being a person of color. I was very angry to read that being a person of color automatically makes you underprivileged. As if they are doing us a favor because we weren't born to the "right" ethnic background. Sorry I know I am rambling on but I agree with you in the fact that each person should have the right to freedom.
Bella,
ReplyDeleteYour post stood out to me simply because you stated that you did not agree with the “white men of privilege” concept. You are correct; history has shown us that obstacles can be overcome. However, as I stated in my post, it did take some time for this to occur. I would agree that in today’s society the “white men of privilege concept” is not as powerful as it was back 50 years ago. But it is still present in one form or another. For example, look in politics. Most of the Supreme Court justices are white males. I do agree with you that everyone regardless of age, sex or gender should have equal rights. Thank you for sharing your opinion.