Question #1). Are there group norms at SJSU? What are they? In the group of individuals that you spend time with, are there group norms? What are they? In both cases, how did you identify these norms? How did you adapt to these norms?
I feel that there are definitely identifiable group norms at SJSU. To begin, “activities and behaviors that occur regularly signify norms” (48) and I think sports, clubs, and departments at SJSU classify individuals. Harris states, “Norms influence our behaviors during the group process” (47) and in sports, for example, students can feel a sense of accomplishment or belonging within their team. Personally, I attend my lectures and then proceed home or to the library to complete my assignments. Although I do not engage in activities at school, I associate with members of the Communication Department because that is my major. There are group norms within this department and they are evident during their club meetings and social events. The types of norms that are apparent in the department are crucial norm. During one meeting I attended, punctuation, dress standards, and due dates of scheduled projects are important and explicitly stated.
These norms were directly stated before the meeting began in order to reiterate the rules and expectations. Since I do not consider myself apart of a group norm at SJSU, my experience with attending the department meeting was pleasant. I did not feel like an outsider and the event was fun; the meeting was held at Mountain Mike’s so it was casual but with an objective. I did not have a hard time adapting because I was introduced to everyone as an individual whom is interested and I was welcomed.
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bella,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog because it was similar to mine. I also do not participate with on campus activities. All of the classes i have taken to date have been online. Due to this, i also feel as if i am not part of a group at SJSU. Most of the group norms I have experienced have been through online classes. These were primarily crucial norms such as due dates and other scheduled events. I would assume that there are several group norms physically on campus, and at some point I will be able to witness them firsthand.