Question #1: Groups are living systems based on interdependence and interrelationships. What happens to a small group when parts of the system do not function well? Provide two examples from your own small group experiences that show the importance of understanding interdependence and interrelationships.
Interdependent members are defined as depending “on one another and share in responsibility for the group process, the group gains the benefit of the shared ideas and interactions (p. 29). In order to work interdependently, one must “learn how to work with the other members” as Harris states. When parts of the system do not function well, the common goal of the group can’t be reached. A personal example of how both interdependence and interrelationship play an important role in team work is through cooperation. I work at a bank and in order to complete tasks and assist the clients efficiently, my coworkers and I must work together. There are five tellers, one manager, and two personal bankers at my location and sometimes we could use more help. However, by working interdependently with one another, we are able to accomplish our duties. As Harris states, “the integrity of the whole depends on the mutual interaction between its parts,” (p. 29) which I believe to be valid because the cooperation from each person in my branch is what helps us succeed at the end of each day. Another example can be as simple as working together as a family. Within my family, we each have assigned duties in the home but work interdependently to ensure a positive outcome. Both interdependence and interrelationship can be associated with correlation between two things, such as “interaction between its parts” (p 29). To be independent can be defined as self-sufficient, however, interdependent is co-dependent on another part and requires support.
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Bella, I liked how you tied in interdependence with your experience working in the bank. Like in any other occupation, it is hard to get things done by yourself. There is a common saying that two heads are better than one. Things get done more quickly and precisely if there is more than one person involved in the process. I am sure in your job at the bank, there are agendas that you and fellow employees need to get done together.
ReplyDeleteAt the restaurant where I work, we have our own particular duties as hosts. On busy lunches and dinner shifts, there is one person who answers take out calls and reservations, one who seats customers, and someone else who gets take out orders. It would be hard for just one person to do all those things by him or herself. It is pertinent to work together, so things will be done in a organized fashion.
Bella,
ReplyDeleteThat was a wonderful response demonstrating your understanding of interdependence. The personal examples you applied in your own life relating to working in a bank and also your family situation show clearly that by working with others, you get things done. I especially liked your example of the family situation because it is something that is not the same for everyone - unfortunately some people come from families that do not work well together or do not get along and therefore they cannot be interdependent upon each other.
I work in a classroom setting where we have 12 children with special needs, a teacher, and 3 classroom aides. I am one of the aides. We each have different jobs within the classroom (I teach the kids math) but share the common goal of ensuring the child's educational goals are met, along with maintaining the goals of their behaviour plan.
Good job with your post - not only did you explain the concept well but you made me think about my own life.
Molly
Bella,
ReplyDeleteLike many, I enjoyed your post as well. It gave a great description of the relationship of interdependence and independence. Goals can not be reached when groups work independently. In addition, I liked your examples. Groups are present in every aspect of life; from school, work, family or friends. Interdependence and independence can be seen in all the four aspects. We interdependence is present, it has the same affect on our daily lives as it does in small groups. The same with independence. Your blog exampled showed this relation well.