Question #1). Return to the eight principles of nonverbal communication. Pick two principles, and provide new examples of how they operate in a group or team.
First principle of nonverbal communication is number 1: It impacts the quality of relationships (114). The book gives the example of sitting next to someone or getting up and moving when someone sits next to us. A personal example of this principle is when I sat at an available desk in class; the male student assumed I sat next to him for a reason. During lecture, students were instructed to partner with another student to complete class work and he was the closest so we partnered together. He created small talk rather than working on the assignment and asked if I wanted to exchange phone numbers for future projects. I did not want to give him the wrong idea, so I said my schedule was very hectic and it would not be a good idea. The next lecture day, he sat across the room when he came in late although the same desk he previously sat in was available. I interpreted his actions negatively because he demonstrated that he was upset and disinterested because I did not give him my number.
A second principle of nonverbal communication is number 5: Cultural norms and expectations guide the group (114). An example the book illustrates, which is significant, is time. In the United States, promptness or tardiness is noticed and is an important norm to consider. Within certain groups, such as work, attendance is important. However, within social groups, the norm of attendance is explicitly stated or will be if it is violated. In my culture, time is not of the essence unless explicitly stated, for example a wedding. Prompt attendance is not as important as it would be during a baptism because the structure is different. Both events are personal; however, weddings are more social and not seen as intimate as a baptism in my culture.
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I found that I could totally relate to your post. I work at a bookstore, and it's my job to be friendly to people. However sometimes I get the random guys who think that I'm being nice to them because I'm flirting with them. um HELLO?! I get PAID to be friendly! Just because I smile and walk you to the section where your book is doesn't mean that I'm interested in you as a person. Rarely does someone come in that actually piques my interest. Harsh, but true.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with your post about tardiness. I tend to be a pretty timely person, but a lot of my friends aren't. It bothers me when they aren't where they are supposed to be, on time. However it's something that I just ignore, because it's not usually a formal gathering, and not worth picking a fight over.
Hi Bella, I agree with your post on nonverbal communication affecting relationships. When a handsome guy or cute woman sits next to you, it does not necessarily mean they are attracted to you. There are many other reasons like they just want to sit in whatever available spot or be close to see the board clearly. I find it odd how certain people might think that person likes him/her just because they are sitting near each other. In the restaurant business, the manager expects waitresses and hostesses to be friendly towards customers. In the restaurant where I work, I notice customers think the waitress or hostesses are interested in their physical looks. There was a customer who gave this particular hostess a large tip amount just because of his imagined perception.
ReplyDeleteThere are situations where being on time is crucial. For example, arriving at work, class, meeting on time. Professors become disappointed when a student or employee is late to work. When it comes to meeting friends, they do not really make a big deal if someone is late. Everyone just wants to relax and chill with their buddies during the weekend.
Hey Bella
ReplyDeleteI think you picked two good principles to discuss out of the eight. The first one you chose was the first principle. I thought it was funny that the guy thought that you were interested in him just because you sat next to him. I also thought it was funny that once you assured him that you were actually not interested, he took that as an offense. This also helped me to see that nonverbals can be easily misinterpreted.
As far as the fifth principle and the tardiness, I think that was the best choice as well. It is the norm to be on time to all of our class meetings, jobs, or any small group meeting. If one walks in late you are either penalized or frowned upon.
All and all, great job Bella!