Monday, March 22, 2010

Week of March 21-27 Post #2

Question #2). Give a personal example where you have had selective attention. Why do you think that is? Is there a way you were able to overcome it?

An example when I have Selective Attention is at home when my father is talking to me. I love school and doing homework occasionally; however, when my father begins to map out my educational years, it is as if he’s evaluating me. After choosing the major I enjoy, traveling a bit, and being able to work full-time, I finally decided to focus on earning my degree. Harris & Sherblom state that “we make conscious decisions to pay attention to some messages and ignore others,” (pg. 132) which I find myself doing when my father starts a conversation about school. Since I feel that I have been lectured about the importance of an education for the majority of my life, I think it became so repetitive that I disregard the message he is trying to convey. A way to overcome Selective Attention is for me to communicate with my father about my feeling toward or discussions. I could let him know how it makes me feel and that asking particular questions rather than sounding like he’s lecturing me could make the conversation positive. Also, allowing me to be comfortable to approach him will give me an opportunity or the confidence to want to talk to him about school and my progress.

3 comments:

  1. You gotta love nagging parents, am I right? Right? *hears a pin drop*

    Anyway, I agree about tuning out the education schpeel from the parents. Yes, Mom, I understand that I need to finish my education and get a degree. Yes, Dad, I understand that I will probably get a better job if I finish my BA. It's funny when you take into account that sometimes parents are the ones that don't necessarily listen all the time. When they tell us over and over and over that we need to make sure we get our degree, do they expect us to absorb the message every. single. time? Ohhh parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny that you chose your dad when giving an example about a time when you used selective hearing because I chose my father as well. I think that it is normal to have selective hearing when the message being conveyed becomes repetitive. We do not like to hear the same things especially when we already have our own plans or ideas for ourselves. I think you made a good point that conveying your feelings towards your father, regarding the discussions about education, will help to eliminate your need for selective attention. If you do so he will get a better understand of you and possible change some of his conversations regarding education. But do not feel bad because my father is the exact same way and I think we should be grateful that we have such loving and caring parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats true, when parents are constantly riding you about something it means they care enough to take the time to do so. I feel the same way with my parents, although they feel education is important, I feel like my parents lecture me on different things. My mother, usually money, my father usually organization. My mom i can understand, but gets very exhausting. My father, can't understand because I feel he has some organization issues of his own. In my father's case, I think I'm selective in my listening because he is not practicing what he preaches. That goes for many of my selective listening patterns, if your not valid, I'm usually not listening.

    ReplyDelete