Question #3). Pick one concept from the assigned reading, that has not already been discussed this week, that you found useful or interesting and discuss it.
I like the concept of sex-role stereotyping, which labels men and women differently. Harris and Sherblom state that, “expectations that men will act like leaders and women will act like subordinates” (120) remains. I found this to be interesting because traditionally, men were the bread-winners and women were considered the bread-makers. In my culture, the men are the providers and decision-makers, while the women tend to the housework and communicate their opinion when they feel it’s important or needed. An example is my family and the leadership role assigned. Both of my parents contribute to the bills because they make sufficient amount of money, equally; however, it is my mother who tends to the house needs (cleaning, cooking, etc). Since I have adapted to the American culture, I feel that I am more independent than women who grew up in a different society. Although my boyfriend and I are from the same culture, we have established norms and divide all tasks equally rather than assigning them based on previous gender roles. I convey the importance in understanding how to be self-sufficient because as women we should know how to provide for ourselves and also communicate effectively with others’ as leaders.
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Bella82
ReplyDeleteBravo for your blog entry! I strongly agree with you that every couple should assign tasks equally rather than base on gender roles. I feel like we are in a different time than before now, women are more independent and we have a lot more to contribute other than being a bread-maker. The way I see is that women nowadays not only can fulfill the old gender role but on top of that they can do the same thing as men do; for example being a breadwinners. Most importantly is that we have a choice to be self-sufficient and we have a choice to provide for ourselves and not rely on men. Because we are in a different society than before now.
-Sogo
Hi Bella
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post, as usual. I found the sex-role stereotyping concept to be interesting, yet very true. I believe that even though it is 2010 and most women have shown to be assertive, and obtain full time jobs, this stereotype is still very active.
However what most people do not understand is that you can be a "housewife" and still be assertive and take initiative. Some situations just so happen where it works better for a women to stay at home while her husband works, or vice versa.
So I commend you for choosing this topic and speaking you mind about it! I definitely agree with you.
Bella,
ReplyDeleteCongrats, you are one of the only ones to have already finished this question #3, so I am commenting on yet another one of your blogs. It seems to me that the sex-role sterotyping is very personal to you. Your example of shared roles with your boyfriend puts your feelings of sex-roles into perspective for me as the reader. Not to disagree, but I feel like their are certain things that women and men can do that the other can not. I believe that this is why we have roles in relationships anyway. I thinks its good that you guys established those roles, even though they are outside the norms of your culture because thats one of the only ways that a relationship can function. Great blog! By the way, what culture are you and your boyfriend from?