Question #3). Pick one concept from the assigned reading that has not already been discussed during this discussion week that you found useful or interesting, and discuss it.
The concept that I found interesting was under the Barriers to Active Listening, especially lack of interest. An example of this barrier is a course I took a few semesters ago called Creating a Meaningful Life (this was considered a Recl10 course) because it was a requirement and fulfilled one of the options under a section. However, because the course I initially wanted was full, I had to add this instead. During the process of learning something new, which I found to be uninteresting at first, I was discouraged. Harris & Sherblom state that “this can lead to boredom, impatience with the speaker, daydreaming, or becoming preoccupied with something else instead of listening,” (pg. 135) this can have a negative impact in my grade. Therefore, a way to overcome these feelings can be to hang in there and try to make the best of the situation. In doing so, we can “pay attention to the content of the discussion” (pg. 135) and do our best.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Bella82,
ReplyDeleteIt must be a torture for you has to sit in a class listening to lectures that you are not interested in. When I first started off in a community college I was majored in accounting. I absolutely hated it. Even though I still getting good grades but I couldn’t find myself focusing in lecture. Therefore, I had a hard time studying it on my own. When I switched my major to communication, I find myself enjoy the classes and pay more attention to it. Then I knew I have to pick something interests me as my major; otherwise my brain is not getting information through the listening process.
-Sogo
Hello Bella82,
ReplyDeleteI found your post to be pretty funny as I read it because honestly, most classes that are required for your lower G.E. are not interesting and we have to take them because they are necessary for graduation. It is unfortunate that you are required to learn the information and be able to regurgitate it even though you have no interest in the subject matter whatsoever. Like you, I find it extremely difficult to be able to listen to something if I have no interest in the topic. However, I think that when we realize the value of listening and figure out how important it is to us, it makes even the most boring lectures easier to listen to. Luckily for us, once we start our upper G.E. courses, we can at least choose classes that are of interest to us and actually pertain to what we want to do so our classes don't seem like a complete waste of time and listening doesn't take too much of an effort because we will actually be interested in the material.