Question #1). Provide an example of creativity from your own experience. How does it fit with the chapter's discussion of creativity?
Finding new ways to make a sales goal and advertise a product can be an example of creativity. Personally, working at a bank has taught me how to market and find new ways to promote banking packages to acquire new clients. Harris and Sherblom stated that “creativity in this sense involves the power to originate, to break away from the existing ways of looking at things, to move freely in the realm of the imagination, to create…new ideas and strong feelings” (pg. 183). When I go to Wells Fargo, I notice that the tellers put a ‘smile’ stamp on my receipt and try to appeal their products to my needs. Although I bank with a different institution, their creativity is appealing and is memorable. I spoke to my manager regarding their tactics and we started utilizing those strategies and noticed that we were achieving our sales goals faster! This of course made her happy and she wanted to hear if I had other ideas. I also thought besides advertising products, we could also place peppermints near our counters so that we could ease into dialogue regarding our promotions while the client enjoyed the candy. As Harris and Sherblom state, “trying something new, invoking new perceptions, or providing a new response are creative approaches to problem solving,” (pg. 184) and also obtaining results, as I have learned and witnessed with the new strategies we implement at my work.
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Bella, I thought your post about using creativity in your job was pretty interesting. I notice that Wells Fargo is great at promoting their product. They often have prizes for individuals who decide to become a member of their Home Mortgage. For example, the bank could give a stuffed animal to the winner. From these tactics, it shows that a bank like Wells Fargo will do anything to appeal to many more new customers. At times there would be an employee who goes around local business and promote their success in home mortgage. They would also try to persuade an individual to become a valuable customer. This shows their creativity in making a strong effort to be a successful corporation.
ReplyDeleteHi Bella,
ReplyDeleteI thought that you explained the concept of creativity well using your job at the bank. Something as small as candy can go a long way in terms of engaging clients to purchase a product or service.
While I do not bank at Wells Fargo, that "smile stamp" seems like a great idea. My bank does not do this but if they did, I think seeing that smile stamp on the receipt would cause me to smile and leave the bank with a warm and fuzzy feeling which goes a long way.
After reading the chapter and your post, it seems that using creativity does not have to cost a lot of money and that small efforts made my employees of an organization will help out a lot when trying to sell.
Great job on the post!
Bella, thats such a good idea about the mints. When I worked at a grocery store they told us if a costumer wanted to try a product we were allowed to open it up and let them try it. People on the job didn't have much time to do this, but one guy who I worked with liked to talk to customers a lot and tell them about new products he would always be working the floor and really selling. The managers saw this and created a new position selling on the floor. It seems weird, in a grocery store, but putting the idea into action gave the guy a promotion. His creativity helped himself and the company.
ReplyDeleteBella,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your expression in your blog. In order to grab customers to invest the banking products, most of the banks always have their creativities in some particular events. I am a Chinese woman from Hong Kong. During the Chinese New Year either in Hong Kong or the United States, most of the banks will prepare the red pockets(lei-sze envelopes), the big "Fortune" calendar, and ornaments symbolized the year and send to the Chinese customers. If the customers invest the banking products up to a certain amount of money, the bank may give them an one oz. gold coin as their gratitudes to these customers.
Besides the bank creativity, our government has the creativity that involves the tax cut or tax refund if you are the first buyer to buy the house. Under these two issues, I have leart that the creativity is the key to promote the products as well as to help people in the financial crisis.