1). (Regarding chapter 11) Distinguish among a forum, panel, colloquium, and symposium as a means for making a public presentation. Which one would you prefer? Why?
I prefer a Panel as a means for making a public presentation because it utilizes the help of an audience, which can be helpful in solving problems. The authors state that the problem-solving format uses “an informal, sometimes humorous, style of interaction to keep the audience’s attention and to effectively share information that may be technical in nature,” (pg.220) which can gain positive results. I would rather have a presentation be “collaboratively informational to the audience rather than argumentatively confrontational” because I get nervous when I have to argue a case. The format of a panel seems clear and straight forward, which makes the discussion appealing and stress-free. Harris and Sherblom state that “planning a panel is important,” so there are no surprises. In my past communication courses, I have not presented a public speech in a panel format; however, the format of discussing or debating the case was applied without audience participation. My group was to present the problem and discuss the challenges. We were to influence the audience to gain their vote and after our presentation, they would discuss reasons as to why they chose the particular party to win.
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liked your post Bella, because it helped me understand what a Panel discussion is all about. I can see how you like it the best beccause of audience interaction, but one thing I did not like about it is that the audience and panel members have no direct interaction the way they do in a colloquium, which is my chosen method for this blog post.
ReplyDeleteIn the panel, the audience members have to wait until the end of the speaking by the panel members. I do like how the panel does not take long - these discussions do not normally last longer than an hour, which is much better than the colloquium (whih lasts at least an hour but not more than two).
You did a great job of describing the panel, and if it shows up on the midterm, I know I will be prepared. Thanks Bella!
Hey Bella
ReplyDeleteYou brought up some good points when choosing which format you would like best. I think panel is great because, as you quoted from the book, it is more informal and has a humorous style to it. I must have overlooked this in my reading because I would have definitely chosen this one over the one I selected. I think that this style is more relatable to an overall general audience, and people would be more comfortable to speak their mind. But you also mentioned you get nervous when it comes to agrumentation. I am sure with practice you can easily excel in that type of communication as well. Keep up the good work!
-Pochahontas
Bella,
ReplyDeleteOut of the above four ways to deliver a groups findings, I would prefer to use the panel format as well. I also like the notion that a panel is more informal and uses humor and other styles to get the audience’s attention. It seems that a panel is less confrontational then all the other methods presented. This is a benefit for the group itself and the audience. For most people, it is easier discussing ideas when it is conducted in an open fashion. In addition, I liked that a panel included the audience in its discussion. In most cases, the audience is who is affected by the problem or proposed solution. To have direct input from them would be helpful when trying to solve a problem.