Monday, April 19, 2010

Post 2 Week of April 18-24

3). Pick one concept from the assigned reading that has not already been discussed during this discussion week that you found useful or interesting, and discuss it.

The emotional barrier to creativity is an interesting concept because in being creative, I ask others for their input and support. As Harris and Sherblom state, “fear of making a mistake often causes us to limit our creativity,” (pg. 190) which can hold back my ideas at work. Since I work for a company and not for myself, I do not feel that I can be completely creative because there are company rules I must follow and I am not in the marketing department. Working in a marketing field would definitely allow me to demonstrate my creativeness and self-confidence in possible rejection of my ideas because there is always room to improve in that field. However, being a teller would limit my creativeness since my position has specific tasks and responsibilities. Sometimes I feel like I can’t look too much outside the box because of the obligations specified with the job description.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you that the fear of making a mistake can hold make the creativeness in people. The fear of failure can make a lot of people not consider being different. I feel that as long as the reward for success is greater than the penalty for failure, then creativity should never stop.
    I also agree that creativity can be limited by a corporation because of the rules and the nature of their culture. Even if you're in the marketing field, there are still rules that must be followed. I think if businesses allowed more creative thinking, that the results would outweigh the cost. The other option would be to have unlimited creativity and go into business for yourself.

    Good Job.

    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. .I understand where you are coming from and sometime I feel that it is too hard to be creative in a work environment because we don’t want to be down playing negatively criticizing our idea. Going off your example saying that “fear of making a mistake often causes us to limit our creativity”. We typically see this in small groups even around our peers when suggesting plans to the group. I saw this because while we often find ourselves at boredom we tend to sit and think about ideas we could do to get out of the boredom. However, while pitching some of these ideas they tend to not get positive reactions from the other group members which then the member loses it’s thought process because his first suggestion got rejected. Our creativity tends to function when things are positive, while keeping our environment positive great envisions come out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bella82,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I liked that you shared your personal example of the workplace. The workplace, for most people, can hinder ones creativity. There is a definite grey area on this subject. Some companies encourage their workers to be creative and think of new strategies to help the company. Other companies want their employees to perform their job duties and go home. I also think that the fear of making a mistake applies to us in every aspect in life. A group project for school for example. This fear can limit how much you out into something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bella

    I picked the same concept as you did so I guess great minds really do think alike :). But anyways, this post was very relatable to me and I am sure many others. You mentioned that at your job it is often times hard to "think outside the box" or input ideas and suggestions due to a set of rules you must follow. With that in mind it is understandable for you to be reluctant to use your creativity at work because of the fear of making a mistake or having other ridicule your ideas. I still think that every idea has room to grow in one way or another, so thinking about the proper times to give input may possibly turn out to be a great thing!

    ReplyDelete