Monday, April 19, 2010

Post 2 Week of April 18-24

Question #2). Name five cultural barriers to creativity. What do you think these would keep a group from being creative? Have you experienced any of these personally? Explain.

The five of the nine cultural barriers that the book presents are, an expectation of practicality and efficiency, particular arenas for competition or cooperation, an expectation of politeness and following rules for social order, a reliance on statistical proofs, and a trust in the power of reason and logic. I feel that these barriers would keep a group from being creative if the personalities of the individuals were different from each other. For example, I work with a diverse set of people, both in culture and tradition. I am the youngest and the most energetic when it comes to communicating with clients so when the expectation of politeness and following rules for social order is needed, each person has their own view on this barrier. Growing up in today’s society, my view on politeness includes humor and being comfortable with language use to appeal to the younger generation; however, my older co-workers treat every client the same and sometimes it sounds robotic. My advice to them is similar to Harris and Sherbloms outlook on moving beyond “business as usual,” and needing “to relax and play with things, words, ideas, and concepts” (pg. 188) to progress and also broaden creativity and new ways of thinking.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I noticed when I did my observation of a meeting for our final assignment the group members had some comedic moments but the conversation seemed a little uncomfortable. As if no one wanted to hurt feelings, or really share their opinions and emotions on a personal level. It is a business, but this was a school and they were discussing a graduation ceremony. Some how i believe education broadens your mind, creativity should be embraced. But I noticed that maybe teachers are only embracing their students creativity not their own colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bella

    I think it is great that you mentioned that each of these barriers can also be different within each person’s personality. Although we may think of these barriers in one way, others can think of how they apply to themselves or to a group in another. I can relate to being the youngest at the job and treating others respectively, than older people view politeness and respect. For example I also like to be humorous and use language that appeals to whomever I am speaking with whether old or new. Some may think this is not what politeness is at all. So when working with others it is especially important to get to know the individuals somewhat, so that you can break some of these barriers and help everyone to progress as a group. Otherwise, creativity will always be drowned by each of these cultural barriers that most people do subconsciously and are not even aware of. Great job!


    Pocahontas

    ReplyDelete