Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Week 7-13 Post 2

Question #2). Explain proxemics and chronemics. Are there universal rules for all cultures regarding these concepts? Give personal examples if possible. Give examples of personal experience in other cultures regarding these two concepts.

Proxemics is defined as the way we use and are affected by space, while chronemics is regarding time. It is defined as “the study of the use of time” (119) and sensitivity to punctuality requirement. According to proxemics, personal space depends on “the circumstances and the relationships with the other people in an interaction,” (118) which can be different in any culture. For example, in my culture, personal space is not expected, in fact, being close is encouraged in order to communicate clearly. Communication between two people requires each person to feel comfortable and personal; however, in America, personal space is desired. Individuals might be formal with one another, unless boundaries are set. Western cultures consider “promptness is important but is also negotiable” (119) in chronemics. Attendance might be more important for work then it would be between friends. For example, attendance is essential at my work because I need to start my computer, set up my area, and prepare for clients to come in as soon as we open. However, if I’m meeting a group to study or friends for lunch, time can be negotiated as long as I inform them.

My American culture and my African culture consider time and personal space differently. Since I am among individuals from my culture, personal space and promptness is not as significant unless stated. I don’t feel uncomfortable or worried if I’m too close to someone or late as I would in this culture because I am among diverse individuals with different expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment