Question #3). Pick one other concept in the book (any chapter) that you feel needs further discussion?
One concept I feel that needs further discussion is in chapter 3 pertaining to group norms and reasons to why they exist. Harris and Sherblom mention reasons for norms, the types, and consequences to violating them; however, why they exist is brief. “Norms establish the accepted rules of behavior,” and they are “not imposed by some authority figure with power” but rather formulated and acknowledged by group members. I would like to learn when group norms began being apart of behavioral expectation within groups or amongst people and if general norms exist as a society. For example, would a rule about littering in parks be distinguished as a norm? My personal understanding of group rules lie within what is acceptable and unacceptable, which is similar to group norms. Harris and Sherblom illustrate norms as “the set of assumptions or expectations by members of a group or organization concerning what kind of behavior is right or wrong, good or bad, appropriate or inappropriate, allowed or not allowed,” (2008) and that the group tells us what we can and cannot do. I also feel that “norms” could be classified as “rules” to ensure that there is no confusion and it would also be easier to recognize.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Bella,
ReplyDeleteThis was a very interesting discussion topic you chose to write about. At the beginning of the semester, when we learned about norms, I also wondered if "norms" could also be considered as rules. I know that unofficial rules can be considered as norms (things like not being more than 15 minutes late if meeting people etc), but what about official rules such as not speeding over the posted limit, or littering as you mentioned.
I never really thought about it this way until i read your posting. Good job on getting us thinking Bella!