Question #1). How does CMC differ from f2f communication? (Think outside the box).
Computer Mediated Communication (CMC) is different from face to face communication because it does not require meeting in person to create dialogue. CMC “uses technology to communicate with each other” as Harris and Sherblom state (2008). Communicating through email, chat or blogging is a new way to keep in contact with people at any possible time, especially without time sensitivity. It is easier to communicate via internet when I have a hectic schedule rather than trying to find the time to meet in person. For example, my schedule can get really busy with school and work. I feel that I am either at school or working a long shift; however, when I am not at either, I still have a responsibility to my assignments or personal errands. I make a list of “things to do” for the day and keep a calendar/journal in order to remember what’s due and when. Therefore, emailing friends or messaging them through Facebook is easiest for me. Also, it is undemanding for me because I am not on a time constraint and it I am accessible to my friends since I access my email and reply quicker than through a scheduled time. The phrase “life happens” has always been a reason for me to appreciate CMC when face to face communication is difficult to schedule or maintain once planned.
Monday, May 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree - it is much easier to communicate via Internet rather than trying to make time to meet my friends and family in person. Because of CMC, I can respond to messages at my convenience, even if it is at 2 am. I think this is why I am so successful with online classes - because I can get things done by the deadline but whenever it is good for me. It will be interesting to attend my graduate program when I have to actually attend in person classes.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Bella! I really agree with everything you said.
Hi Bella, I agree that it is quite hard to keep up with a schedule in face to face meetings. There are times where people just do not have the time to meet in person. It could be because they have school or work during a certain period. While most people are free on weekends, there might be a couple who have full time jobs. Since they are not able to make it to meetings, they could miss important discussions. By having an computer mediated meetings, it becomes much easier. Members can contribute through an online chat where it is convenient. For the individual who has an overabundance of work, he/she can still be involved in the group process whenever they have time to go online.
ReplyDeleteOh boy does technology make it easy for us to communicate! However it also makes it easy for us to avoid communicating: I never received the text message, I couldn't get online, I tried to send the message but it didn't work. Face to face communication doesn't let you have the excuses that CMC does, which can be a burden and not a burden: while there isn't the possibility of the message getting "lost" or not being able to send it, it doesn't let you avoid a confrontation or avoid a situation until you can cool your head and try to solve a problem without being angry or upset.
ReplyDeleteHey Bella
ReplyDeleteI think you gave a great intro to how CMC and FTF differ. I also have to agree with you that CMC is a lot more effective and easy method when communicating with friends. Being that we live in such a technology advanced society, there are several different ways and methods to use to get in contact with one another. When I have a hectic schedule and do not have time to hang out with friends and family like I would like to, this is an alternative method to still communicate and keep in contact with one another. You should also pay attention to the advantages and disadvantages of both FTF and CMC methods. Great job!
Pocahontas
Hi Bella82,
ReplyDeleteI also have a hectic schedule. I work full time, attend school full time, and have a family of my own. The advancement of technology has made my life easier in many ways. For example, I am able to attend school online. The freedom of being able to complete my readings, homework, and take tests on my own time has allowed me to continue working. In addition, I am able to complete my courses after my son is asleep. This allows me to spend as much time as possible with him. I could not image what my life would be like without this opportunity.